By Project Management Institute
5.0 out of five stars
The most sensible PMBOK but; vital for PMP examination January four, 2013
By Gabriel Young
As a undertaking administration teacher and direction developer at a country college, a undertaking administration keynote speaker, and somebody who has been education venture managers for almost 20 years, I hugely suggest this booklet. i've got additionally helped thousands to cross their PMP checks (including education PMI staff) and even if a few fogeys declare they handed with out this, I firmly think that the PMBOK is a must-have.
I have owned each version of the PMBOK and that i can inform you that it's gotten larger with age. Let's face it, the cloth isn't the main fascinating yet no less than it's even more readable than ever. methods are extra subtle (some might keep in mind middle vs. facilitating approaches in older types) and are titled extra regularly (used to have a few begin with verbs and others with nouns), descriptions of inputs/tools & techniques/outputs are clearer, and illustrations are much less complicated. That stated, the e-book nonetheless basically covers the "whats". should you really need to know "how" to execute a few of these approaches, you will want one other source like venture administration: A structures method of making plans, Scheduling, and Controlling.
For those that have noticeable a number of the PMBOK's terrible scores in studies of past types, you want to remember that this can be a high-level consultant, no longer an intricate textual content or a secret novel. therefore, don't anticipate to be a venture administration guru on the finish or be entertained with inventive irony.
Anyway, for the reason that lots of you're looking at this since you are looking to take the PMP examination, this is a few advice:
- even though you can be capable of receive a tender replica of this booklet through being a PMI member, i like to recommend having a actual replica. In all my years of education, I've by no means even used a highlighter yet I did for the PMBOK while i used to be learning for this examination over a decade in the past. It seems that just about every thing used to be worthy highlighting however it compelled me to learn each one line thoroughly.
- you'll want one other e-book due to the fact many examination recommendations aren't even lined within the PMBOK. i actually like PMP examination Prep, 7th variation: Rita's direction in a publication for Passing the PMP examination or CAPM/PMP venture administration Certification All-in-One examination consultant with CD-ROM, moment variation. you don't even desire the newest versions. belief me, the final strategies would be the related. for example, earned price classes in Rita's 1st version from yesteryear would be the similar as these in seventh or eighth variants. SPI will continually be EV/PV.
- whilst filing venture adventure at the software, you could publish paintings whether your identify used to be now not venture supervisor. in the event you labored on tasks and feature performed a lead position, it may well count number so post it. the most important aspect is for you to be filing undertaking management actions. you continue to want 4500 hours of venture adventure when you have a bachelors or 7500 hours and not using a bachelors. additionally, consistently put up greater than these thresholds on the grounds that a few actions will be now not be accepted.
- don't buy flash playing cards; in its place, make your individual. Get a stack of index playing cards and begin writing terms/concepts on one part with definitions/formulas/descriptions at the again side.
Hope this is helping. better of success to each person!
Read Online or Download A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge: PMBOK(R) Guide PDF
Best project management books
This publication is set venture luck and the key to reaching this good fortune, potent undertaking management. full of samples, templates, and directions, it covers the 5 ideas of powerful venture management: construction imaginative and prescient, nurturing collaboration, selling functionality, cultivating studying, and making sure effects.
Information caliber offers an expos? of study and perform within the facts caliber box for technically orientated readers. it truly is in response to the examine carried out on the MIT overall info caliber administration (TDQM) application and paintings from different major learn associations. This ebook is meant essentially for researchers, practitioners, educators and graduate scholars within the fields of computing device technological know-how, info know-how, and different interdisciplinary parts.
- Project Workout: A Toolkit for reaping the rewards from all your business projects (3rd Edition)
- Principles of Contemporary Corporate Governance , 2nd Edition
- Project Managing Change: Practical tools and techniques to make change happen (Financial Times Series)
- Effective Project Management: Tools, Templates & Best Practices
- Liftoff: Start and Sustain Successful Agile Teams
Additional resources for A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge: PMBOK(R) Guide
As project management is a critical strategic discipline, the project manager becomes the link between the strategy and the team. Projects are essential to the growth and survival of organizations. Projects create value in the form of improved business processes, are indispensable in the development of new products and services, and make it easier for companies to respond to changes in the environment, competition, and the marketplace. The project manager’s role therefore becomes increasingly strategic.
Organizational communications capabilities have great influence on how projects are conducted. As a consequence, project managers in distant locations are able to more effectively communicate with all relevant stakeholders within the organizational structure to facilitate decision making. Stakeholders and project team members can also use electronic communications (including e-mail, texting, instant messaging, social media, video and web conferencing, and other forms of electronic media) to communicate with the project manager formally or informally.
Some stakeholders may also detract from the success of the project, either passively or actively. These stakeholders require the project manager’s attention throughout the project’s life cycle, as well as planning to address any issues they may raise. Stakeholder identification is a continuous process throughout the entire project life cycle. Identifying stakeholders, understanding their relative degree of influence on a project, and balancing their demands, needs, and expectations are critical to the success of the project.